The Town of Mooresville and the Mooresville Police Department (MPD) are seeking experienced police leaders as applicants to serve as the next Chief of Police. The MPD is staffed by an authorized twenty-two (22) sworn Police Officers, and six (6) non-sworn individuals and (5) part-time employees.
Mooresville is located in west-central Indiana, 20 miles southwest of Indianapolis in Morgan County. The Mooresville Police Board of Commissioners (MPBoC) consists of (3) members who are appointed by the Town Council, and serve as the governing body for the MPD. The duties and responsibilities of the commission include serving as the public safety board for purposes of hiring, promotion, and discipline of merit police officers.
The (MPBoC) is seeking a dynamic and collaborative professional with proven law enforcement leadership and managerial experience, and strong interpersonal and public communication skills. The ideal background and qualifications for the Chief of Police include:
Demonstrated reputation as a leader with a high level of honesty and integrity.
Outgoing, positive and approachable personality to encourage accessibility with residents, businesses, and governmental leaders.
Must be committed to training, professional development and community engagement.
Open and available to Police Department staff and Town employees by using an effective communicating philosophy, seeking input, and being welcoming of and encouraging racial and gender diversity.
Must be knowledgeable of current best practices and policies in policing and ensure consistency in the application of those policies.
Will have a history of intergovernmental cooperation and relationship building, and experience interacting and collaborating with other law enforcement agencies and mutual aid groups.
Is expected to have excellent organization and management skills and a clear understanding of resource and budgetary allocations.
Experience in reviewing organization structures, staffing, and personnel assignments and making changes when appropriate to ensure departmental capability to carry out the police department’s mission and responsibilities.
Experience in addressing internal organization and personnel issues present in most police agencies as well as have demonstrated ability in addressing these problems in a positive, professional, timely, and impartial manner.
Will possess well-developed writing and public speaking skills.
Basic eligibility requirements and consideration factors for Chief of Police candidates:
1. Must be a United States citizen.
2. Must be certified police officer by the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy
3. Member of the 1977 Police Officers’ and Firefighters’ Retirement Fund or eligible to become a member.
4. A minimum of five years command level law enforcement experience, with at least ten years of law enforcement experience.
5. Must meet minimum vision standard (corrected or uncorrected) of 20/50 acuity in each eye and 20/50 distant binocular acuity in both eyes.
6. Must possess a valid driver’s license to operate an automobile.
7. If appointed, must become a resident of Morgan, Marion, Johnson, Brown, Monroe, Owen, Putnam, or Hendricks County.
8. Must be a high school graduate as evidenced by a diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED). Bachelor’s Degree in criminal justice, public administration, or related field is preferred including military officer training.
9. Must be able to pass a Pre-Employment Drug Test.
10. Must not have a felony conviction.
11. Shall not have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
12. Shall not have a conviction for operating a vehicle while intoxicated, or operating a vehicle with blood alcohol content of .08% or above.
13. Shall not have used an illegal drug in the last three (3) years; be drug-free, and have no convictions for operating a vehicle under the influence of drugs.
14. If engaged in military service, must have an Honorable Discharge.
The starting salary is $57,860.00. In addition, the Town of Mooresville offers an attractive benefits package.
The Town of Mooresville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No applicant will be discriminated against with respect to hire, tenure, terms, conditions or privileges of employment for any matter directly or indirectly related to employment because of race, sex, color, religion, national origin, or ancestry. The Town of Mooresville adheres to all provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act; and will endeavor to select, hire and employ only the best qualified applicants available.
The Town of Mooresville is Chief of Police is an “At-Will” position. The Chief of Police may resign at any time and the Town may discharge the Chief of Police at any time with or without cause. The Chief of Police position is an appointive position of the Mooresville Police Board of Commissioners.
Specific job duties and job requirements are established at the discretion of the Mooresville Police Board of Commissioners. A person appointed to the Chief of Police position serves at the pleasure of the Mooresville Police Board of Commissioners.
Interested professionals should contact Amanda Carnell at: ACarnell@pd.mooresville.in.gov (317-831-3434) at the Mooresville Police Department to obtain a job application and job description. You may also click on the links below:
Candidates are directed to submit a completed job application, cover letter, resume, and contact information for 5 professional references by October 7, 2019 to consultant Kim McKenzie at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail postmarked no later than October 7, 2019 to:
ATTENTION: Kim McKenzie
118 South Franklin Street
Muncie, Indiana 47305