The function of the Building Department is to assist citizens and contractors with the following:
- Building Permit Process
- Inspections for Permitted Projects
- Answering Building Code Questions
- Enforcement of Zoning Ordinance
- Investigating Unsafe Building Structural Issues
Current Building Codes
- The Town of Mooresville follows the building codes adopted by the State of Indiana.
- Indiana amendments for these codes can be obtained online at www.in.gov/legislative/iac/ in Title 675 Fire Prevention and Building Safety Commission. The current Indiana Building Codes are: Indiana Building Codes
Permits & Inspections
- It is NOT necessary to be a licensed contractor in the Town of Mooresville to apply for a permit.
- Permits are required for all structural, electrical, HVAC, and plumbing projects over 200 square feet.
- Inspections are required on all projects, with the exception of accessory buildings under 200 square feet.
- Inspections must be called in 48 Hours in advance. The permit number and location will be needed when scheduling an inspection.
Roofing, Siding, and Windows
Permits are not generally needed for roofing, siding and window replacements. However, if you are replacing the decking on a roof, you will need a permit. You will also need a permit if you are changing the size of a window.
Fences & Temporary Structures
At this time a permit is not needed from the Town of Mooresville to install a fence or a temporary structure/tent. However, a fence shall not obstruct the view of motorists, pedestrians, or cyclists. Nor shall it cause any other public safety hazard.
State Construction Design Release
The State of Indiana requires that a Construction Design Release be obtained for most commercial and industrial building projects. This release can be applied for with the Division of Homeland Security. They can be reached at (317) 232-6422, or www.in.gov/dhs